Credits

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Counting Your Blessings

I think everyone should read this and think about. I am told it is a true story, but I don't know that for a fact.

A woman on the top of a 54 story building threatened to jump. Whenever the police moved towards her, she screamed and inched closer to the edge. A young preacher passing by saw what was happening and ran up to see if he could be of assistance. When he saw the woman, he noticed that she was not a typical jumper.

The preacher asked the police to let him say a few things to her. Initially she reacted the same way towards him as she had before. Then he said something shocking: "I am so sorry ma'am that your grand-kids don't love you and never show you any attention." To everyone's astonishment she snapped her head up immediately.

"My grand-kids are the best kids around. I love all eight of them and they love me. They are always coming to visit and giving me little gifts. Don't talk bad about them to me!"

The preacher said, "Well, I am sorry you are so poor then, that you have to jump to your death to get away from your debts."

Again she gasped, "How dare you! Look at my nice clothes! I have the world's best husband who buys me nice things and makes me feel beautiful."

The preacher looked confused, asking "Then why were you jumping?"

With a laugh she responded, "I don't remember!" and stepped away from the ledge.

If you are having a day when you feel like nothing is going right or you have nothing in your life, stop and count your blessings. It really does help. Remember that before Mark Ecko hit it big with his clothing line, he was just a normal guy. Before Harrison Ford made it big, he was just a normal guy too.

3 comments:

Thena said...

Sometimes people just need to know that someone loves them. Cool story.

Jenn said...

It's easy to forget all we have to be thankful for. Thanks for posting this story!

Phoebe said...

Nice story. Each and every one of us has different stories and blessings that we should be thankful. Every day is a blessing. We should thank the Lord for giving us another day to correct our mistakes. :) Thanks for sharing.